How to Apply for Librarian Recruitment 2018 Accra Technical University
Accra Technical University is located in the central business district of Accra, the Capital City of Ghana. The University was converted from a Polytechnic to a Technical University in September 2016 by an Act of Parliament establishing Technical Universities in Ghana. The University has been mandated by the Technical Universities Act, (Act 922), to provide higher education in engineering, science and technology-based disciplines, technical and vocational education and training, applied arts and related disciplines.
The University has a staff of about 700 made up of faculty, senior administrative officers and other supporting staff and a student population of about 15,000 made up of full and part time students offering various academic and professional programmes. The Vision of the University is to be a Technical University of global excellence in competency-based and practice-oriented training, applied research and technology transfer.
- Company: Accra Technical University
- Location: Accra, Greater Accra Region, Ghana
- State: Accra
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Education Jobs in Ghana
ACCRA TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY (ATU), (Integrity, Creativity and Excellence)
The Governing Council of Accra Technical University invites applications from qualified and spirited persons to fill in the vacancy: Librarian
- The Librarian shall be of a Professorial status.
- The Librarian is an academic position in the University but the requirement of teaching shall not apply to the Librarian.
- The Librarian shall report to the Vice-Chancellor through the Pro Vice-Chancellor.
- The Librarian shall be responsible for facilitating the provision of adequate reading, listening and viewing materials to support the teaching, research and extension functions of the University.
- The Librarian shall be responsible for ensuring the maintenance of good environment for reading and learning in all the libraries of the University.
- The Librarian shall be responsible for establishing and maintaining proper networking between the University Library systems and other Libraries both local and international.
- The Librarian shall be responsible for managing the libraries and related information, communication materials and resources of the University, in accordance with rules and regulations and policies recommended by Academic Board and approved by the Governing Council of the University.
- The Librarian shall be responsible for implementing the decisions of the Library Committee approved by the Academic Board.
- The Librarian shall perform any other duties and functions as may be assigned by the Vice-Chancellor and the Pro Vice-Chancellor.
Terms of Appointment
- The Librarian shall hold office for an initial term of four (4) years. The appointment may be renewed, upon application for a further term of up to four (4) years only if that is not beyond the statutory retirement age of sixty (60) years.
- The terms and conditions of the appointment shall be determined by the Governing Council of the University consistent with the Technical Universities Act 2016 (Act 922) and Statutes of Accra Technical University.
- The salary and Conditions of Service attached to this position are very attractive and are comparable to those in analogous universities in Ghana.
- Must be able to maintain and improve the University Library’s integrated learning environment and the engagement of students, faculty and staff in that environment.
- Must demonstrate eagerness to acquire necessary technical knowledge, skills and judgment to accomplish results.
- Must have the desire and drive to acquire knowledge and skills necessary to perform the job efficiently and effectively.
- Must be able to ensure equitable access to information resources, services, facilities and systems in physical or virtual environments, on the university campuses.
- Must be innovative and proactive in the implementation of new technologies and Library services.
- Must be able to ensure that adequate library and research resources are available to meet faculty and student needs within assigned budget.
- Must be able to demonstrate ability to research, conclude and manage all required beneficial licenses and copyright of internal and external parties.
- Must have worked with a current University Library’s software or Library records management software in a manner that is consistent with the University’s mission and objectives.
- Must have excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and a commitment to outstanding student and staff service.
- Must be able to effectively communicate with students, staff and external agencies.
- Must be able to demonstrate ability to provide direction and to inspire and support the staff in the Library to achieve the mission, vision, and objectives of the University as a whole.
- Must be able to work with and influence others to achieve operational requirements.
- Must be able to provide clear, practical and accurate advice to staff at all levels in the Library on Library procedures and requirements.
- Must possess a postgraduate degree in Library or Information Science related studies. A PhD in Library or Information Science is preferable.
- Must have at least twelve (12) years post qualification working experience not below the rank of a Deputy Librarian or analogous position in a tertiary education or public service.
How to Apply
- Candidates are to submit a sealed application letter and completed Application forms obtained from the Registry of the University or download and print a copy from the University’s website at www.atu.edu.gh.
- Applicants are to attach Curriculum Vitae, including names and addresses of three (3) referees who can attest to the qualities of the applicant.
- Applicants are to include a short statement of not more than four pages (Times New Roman size 12 and 1.5 line spacing) outlining their vision and strategies for implementation.
- Applications must be hand delivered in a sealed envelope to the Registry of the University and signed for or submitted using a registered electronic mail to reach the address below not later than 24th October, 2018.
The Chairman Search Committee for Librarian c/o Office of the Registrar Accra Technical University P. O. Box 561 Accra Email: email@example.com Emall: firstname.lastname@example.org Only short-listed candidates shall be contacted